Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Recency

'Recency' is the curse of movie lists.


Just look at Channel 4's list of the 100 'greatest' films which was compiled about 5 years ago from the votes of viewers and somehow incorporated those of 'experts'. (I wasn't invited).

I don't propose to dissect the whole list, but a cursory glance shows the power of recency. At number 3 is The Shawshank Redemption. Now, I like it. Shawshank is moving and entertaining, but somewhat derivative. I could do a whole blog on prison films - and I probably will some day - and which no doubt would list the half dozen required elements:

  1. An innocent man in gaol (or at least punished disproportionately)
  2. A corrupt/weak liberal governor and brutal guards
  3. A really evil prisoner - there aren't that many of them - whom the hero subdues
  4. The crushing of a man without the hero's resilience
  5. A moment of soaring humanity, which shows that even the lowest amongst are 'God's children'
  6. Escape, or preferably death in the attempt.

So I ask. Is it a better film than no 5, Some Like it Hot?

And Gladiator, at no 6. Better than It's a Wonderful Life at no 7? The Matrix at 15, with Casablanca at 16? And Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon at 18, with Citizen Kane, for God's sake, at 19!

As I've already said, I do not wish to denigrate these fine films. But will they feature in a similar list 10 years from now? I doubt it, but I've no doubt that Kane, Casablanca and the like will still be there.

I always take a long time to decide I like a film above others, and so I would choose Schindler's List as my 'recent' choice, but it is getting on a bit now.

So what's it to be? The Constant Gardener, Brokeback Mountain (please!), Crash?

Oh to hell with it. Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were-rabbit.

No comments: